Tag Archives: perl6

Buffers Aren’t Strings

So, the issue of this post has recently come up once again, because this: infinitely recurses in Rakudo. Why? It’s because both Buf and Str do Stringy, and when eq is given disparate types, it calls .Stringy on both of them. … Continue reading

Posted in Think Tank | Tagged , , , , , , | Leave a comment

About Those Slangs…

I like the idea of slangs. They let you modify the grammar of Perl 6 (or maybe you’d prefer Q, or perhaps Regex?). This means you could easily switch into a more pythonesque style of programming just by importing a … Continue reading

Posted in Think Tank | Tagged , , , , | 1 Comment

Perl 6 and CPAN? Well…

So, just earlier today the issue of putting Perl 6 modules (and other assorted things) on CPAN came up. I feel that it’s pertinent to put all of my concerns with this now, instead of waiting until people are in … Continue reading

Posted in Think Tank | Tagged , , , , , , | 3 Comments

A Brand New Spec, S15

So, for the past few days I’ve been working on a provisional S15 mostly for fun. I was considering TimToady’s long-ago suggestion of developing a libicu replacement tuned to Perl 6’s needs, and after learning some interesting things about NFG, … Continue reading

Posted in Press, Progress Happened | Tagged , , , , , , | 2 Comments

Some Thoughts on Unicode in Perl 6

All of the recent work on Rakudo, getting it to run on the JVM, and the creation of and work on MoarVM as another backend for NQP (and thus Rakudo), has created a sense that we’re really moving forward in … Continue reading

Posted in Think Tank | Tagged , , , | 5 Comments

A new Perl 6 major mode for emacs! (In Progress)

I’ve finally gotten fed up with cperl-mode, because it has now decided to throw lisp errors upon typing things like : or }, anything that would make use of its electric feature (which I couldn’t find how to turn off … Continue reading

Posted in Progress Happened | Tagged , , , , | Leave a comment

The Rakudo Codebase: Visualized! (Partially)

Yesterday I stumbled upon this old perl6-compiler mailing list message which inspired me to actually try to split up the compilation of CORE.setting into smaller, saner pieces. I’ve started work on this already (so far having just modified the Makefile). … Continue reading

Posted in Progress Happened, Research Department | Tagged , , , | Leave a comment